Wednesday 14 February 2018

Presenting new artist Miro Poferl!

We are happy to present to you another wonderful new artist! Read below as Miro shares her inspirations, her advice to aspiring artists and some lovely images to accompany...

Where do you live/work? 

I live in the south of Germany close to Munich. A few years ago I moved to the countryside, because my husband has a vegetable farm there. But my studio is still in the city and I enjoy having both: working in the city, seeing people and  interesting things, enjoying a cup of tea in my favorite cafĂ©, walking around for inspiration on the one hand, and coming home to the countryside, having a fantastic view out of my living room windows with no direct neighbours but lots of pretty lakes for swimming and always fresh vegetables on the other hand.



What do you love about working there? 

I share my studio with three friends, a graphic designer, a programmer and a movie editor. It is great, because there is always someone around for a chat, a coffee or help. We have a little patio, where we can sit outside, and there is also the best Indian Restaurant around the corner (OK - we are addicted) and I am so much more productive, when I am not sitting at home alone.



What are your dislikes?

What I do not like about our job are doubts. Doubts that my work is not good enough, that others are more talented, are more active on instagram and so on. 
I also find it stressfull to handle legal textes, like copyright and related rights what is really important, though.


What do you love most about being an illustrator?

I like that it is my profession to choose colors, to find the right type of paper, to look for interesting material and for strange combinations. I like to think about how something can be visualized, and that the solution doesn’t have to be realistic at all! Also one fun thing about being an illustrator is that you can have very earnest conversations with other adults about whether the purple carrot looks too grumpy and if it wasn’t better to let it dance a little bit … :) Well, yes, we can!



How do you work – what are your techniques?  

My work is often two-dimensional, graphical and playful.
It doesn’t matter whether I work analog or digitally, I always start with a little sketch on paper to find an idea and a composition. And then I go into more detail. Sometimes I choose to work on the computer with photoshop or illustrator but other times I find working analog to be the better fit and use cut-outs, spray paint, monotype, papercollages, ink, screentape, brush pen etc. And most of the time I combine both ways.



What is your favourite thing to draw? 

My favorite „thing“ is the human being. I love people, what they do, what they look like, how they act and so on. There are so many interesting things about people! Of course I also draw other stuff, but if I had to choose one thing it would be humans.




Are there any tricky parts to being an illustrator? 

Yes, sure there are! 
Firstly, in my opinion illustrations are very individual expressions and if they are criticized, it is not always easy not to take it personally. 
Another tricky part is to lead a successful conversation. You have to find a way to understand what your client really wants and to make your client understand what you are talking about. Do we mean the same dark blue? What do you mean by „drawing a quick sketch“ … I think every job is a new lesson in communication between people.


What or who are you inspired by?  

I am inspired by perceiving the world around me. I study colours, patterns, shapes and scenes, when I walk around. I love markets, textiles, cities, the underground and bookshops. When I was small, books from Janosch, Ali Mitgutsch and Leo Lionni were important for me. And they still are, but a few more have been added to the list: Today I love the illustrations of Marc Boutavant, Ole Eksell, Miroslav Sasek, Christoph Niemann, Mareike Engelke, Beatrice Alemagna and many more.



What do you like to do in your spare time when you’re not illustrating?

I love to go out to restaurants, but I also like to cook at home, I like to dance with my friends in the living room, I like to swim and to play cards (but only if I win), I like to travel and to go camping with my family and, very important, I like to sleep! 


How did you get into illustration? 

I already loved drawing when I was a child and after my high school graduation I thought that something connected with drawing would be perfect for me. Fortunately, I realized early that fine arts was to loose for me and I found out that there is a thing called applied art. I got a place at the University of Hamburg for illustration and communication design and that was the best thing that could have happened. I didn’t want to stop studying at all! After graduation I started to work as a graphic designer and illustrator and it still is an ongoing development. I am absolutely happy with it.



What are your three top tips for aspiring illustrators? 

1.) Focus on what makes you special. Where can you make a difference?
2.) I have made the experience: one job leads to more jobs. So try to get jobs, which lead towards the areas you want to focus on. If you can afford it, quit jobs, which do not lead to this direction.
3.) Don’t be too cheap - ask other illustrators about prices if you have no clue!


What’s your ultimate dream? 

My ultimate dream is that people could live together in peace. 

I try to contribute a tiny little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment