Monday 10 December 2018

Welcome to the Plum family, Patricia Hu!

Get to know our newest Plum illustrator, the amazingly talented Patricia Hu!




Where do you live / work?
I’m currently living in Barcelona Spain, where I’m part-time graphic designer & part-time illustrator.

What do you like about working there?
I have to confess I like the city itself, I've lived here for three years and I haven't stopped being in love with it's beauty, especially its facades. It’s like everyone of them has it’s own unique story behind it.



What do you love most about being an illustrator?
It’s the most honest and direct way I can express myself: there’s no lying, it’s pure, and it’s one of the few ways you can express your feelings by being able to see it and touch it. It’s a powerful creative weapon.

How do you work – what are your techniques?
I started doing illustrations by hand but end up falling in love with the digital world, specifically with Photoshop.

What or who are you most inspired by?
I usually get very interested in someone’s story, there’s something in everyone's story to learn and get inspiration from.

What is your favourite thing to draw and why?
I have several things I like to illustrate depending on the mood and season. It can vary from tiny little details of buildings to gigantic cats. As long as every illustration of mine contains a story to tell.




How did you get into illustration?
I think I was destined be an illustrator since the beginning, neither side from my mom or my dad knows how to draw. But for me since I was small i’ve always loved drawing and colouring. It’s the best sensation and it still is.

Do you have a favourite illustrator?
I have a long list of favourite illustrators that I like, but to name a few that I’m currently fangirling about lately would be: Beatrice Blue, Benji Davies and Paola Escobar.

Do you have a particular favourite character that you’ve illustrated?
I must admit that my obsession with my little black cat has become the muse of many of my illustrations. Many people say they are very unique and they seem to come from a another planet, that's just enough for me to create numerous stories about them miauuu <3



What do you like to do in your spare time when you’re not illustrating?
For me as long as in the week I get to watch movies, spent time with my friends, go out eating, have a good drink and enjoy life in general with even the most smallest thing in the world, I’m happy!

What are your three top tips for aspiring illustrators?
1. Never ever, like seriously, never give up!
2. Work hard, practice hard and eventually that frustration will have a happy ending.
3. There’s no shame in asking for help, learn from other artists.
All of the above are things I’m still working on every single day of my life but the one that I still need to improve is BE CONSISTENT.

What were your favourite books when you were younger?
My favourite ones were the colouring books. I was an expert in colouring without going over the line.

What was the last book you read? What did you think?
The last book I read was Things Are What You Make of Them by Adam J. Kurtz, super recommended. It’s a book full of teaching self-loving phrases, especially for creatives that at some point in the process of creating things get super frustrated. But Adam and his humour will brighten up your day ;)

What are your aspirations for the rest of the year?
For what’s left of the year, keep drawing as much as I can. For next year, I want to be able to publish a picture book and prove to myself that being consistent will bring me more followers that will enjoy my stories.

What’s your ultimate dream?
Aspiring for world peace… hahaha, kidding, well it's true, partly. Just wanted to make that joke from the Miss Congeniality movie :p
But being honest, my ultimate dream would be able to share my illustrated stories to the world and be able to dedicate my whole life to do just that. <3

Welcome to the family, Patricia!

No comments:

Post a Comment